Image Map

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Lover Unleashed, by J.R. Ward


- Black Dagger Brotherhood #9
Release date: March 29th 2011
Published by: NAL
Genre: Adult Fiction/ Urban Fantasy
Rating: 3/5 stars
Find it on: Goodreads, Amazon


Payne, twin sister of Vishous, is cut from the same dark, warrior cloth as her brother: A fighter by nature, and a maverick when it comes to the traditional role of Chosen females, there is no place for her on the Far Side… and no role for her on the front lines of the war, either.

When she suffers a paralyzing injury, human surgeon Dr. Manuel Manello is called in to treat her as only he can- and he soon gets sucked into her dangerous, secret world. Although he never before believed in things that go bump in the night- like vampires- he finds himself more than willing to be seduced by the powerful female who marks both his body and his soul.

As the two find so much more than an erotic connection, the human and vampire worlds collide … just as a centuries old score catches up with Payne and puts both her love and her life in deadly jeopardy.


The Black Dagger Brotherhood is - was - one of my favorite urban fantasy series. The first three books were wonderful, the characters were engaging, the romance fierce, and J.R. Ward knew how to write a fantastic story. But then Lover Revealed came, and with it, a deep sense of hatred for the characters grew on me. I didn't like Butch, and I hated Marissa. The fifth book was better, but not as good as the first ones. And so on and on. The quality of this series has gone downhill ever since, and Lover Unleashed was no exception.

One of the most disturbing things I've realized as I was reading this book is that there is no plot whatsoever. J.R. Ward creates a lot of issues for the characters to deal with, we go along with them throughout the book, and that's it. The focus of this novel isn't on the characters and in the story, and that creates a huge problem: after a couple of chapters, it gets boring. So incredibly boring. I wanted some action, some kickass scenes and more development when it came to the romance. The author, however, focused this novel on a lot of characters, and I was lost. I didn't know who the main character was anymore.

I'm not saying Lover Unleashed is awful, and I'm not going to continue with the series. If anything, I'm more determined to prove that J.R. Ward is a good author, and that BDB can be fantastic even after 10 books. However, I'm disappointed with Lover Unleashed. The romance didn't hold my attention, Vishous and Jane did, and that's not good. I'm still reading Lover Reborn. Tohr is one of my favorite characters, and I wouldn't miss his book for anything.

--

Ps: I'm sorry I was so absent lately. I've been dealing with some personal issues, and I just wasn't in the mood to read anything, much less write reviews. I'm better now, but still, writing this review was incredibly difficult, so I apologize beforehand if I disappear mysteriously again o.O

No comments:

Post a Comment