Image Map

Friday, January 20, 2012

Deadly little secret, by Laurie Faria Stolarz




Release date: December 23rd 2008
Published by: Hyperion Book CH
Genre: Young Adult
Rating: 3/5 stars












Some secrets shouldn't be kept...

Up until three months ago, everything in sixteen-year-old Camelia's life had been fairly ordinary: decent grades; an okay relationship with her parents; and a pretty cool part-time job at the art studio downtown. But when Ben, the mysterious new guy, starts junior year at her high school, Camelia's life becomes anything but ordinary.

Rumored to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus. Except for Camelia. She's reluctant to believe the rumors, even when her friends try to convince her otherwise. She's inexplicably drawn to Ben...and to his touch. But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes. Ben insists she is in danger, and that he can help--but can he be trusted? She knows he's hiding something... but he's not the only one with a secret. 

 My thoughts:

It actually took me a lot of courage to sit down and write this review. Not that I hated the book or anything, but my mind was a total blank, with not enough thoughts on Deadly Little Secret to create a decent paragraph -- and it seemed dificult to bring up any vocabulary. Oh, well. I'm better now, so let's just get it over it xD

Deadly Little Secret sounded cool and different from what I used to read -- a touch of romance with mystery and a possible killer? .... It turns out, the "touch" of romance was actually a lot more than I usually expected -- and a lot more like Twilight.


Camelia's life had been pretty boring normal. until Ben, the new guy with a dangerous past, comes into picture. They become lab partners and Camelia - surprisingly - starts to fall for him. The thing is, they've met before, on the day Ben saved Camelia's life. She knows it's him, but Ben denies their connection. Their romance starts to develop from that point, but honestly, I couldn't care less if they were going to be together or not.


Both of them were interesting, but I couldn't connect with Camelia, much less with Ben. They were superficial most of the time, including the secondary characters. The mystery around the threatning notes and packages was fairly good, the author managed to surprise me when the stalker's identity was revealed, but still, I couldn't shake that uneasiness off me. Deadly Little Secret would've been a fresh read, if not for this problem. I don't know why I didn't care about the characters, why being curious was the only thing that kept me hooked, and why I was nothing but relieved when the book ended.


However, I can apreciate a good book when I see one. Maybe I was just not in the mood for something like this, but the writing is phenomenal, the background is well defined, and the romance is great - although a little too fast for me. This series has 5 books, I think, but I'm not sure if I intent to keep on reading it. If you liked the synopsis, though, go for it. Deadly Little Secret may be the book for you =)

No comments:

Post a Comment